Total Pageviews

Monday, August 25, 2014

What is good sense?

It is the starting of another school year at the schools, colleges, and universities. Three of my closely associated friends graduated in August and I will miss them dearly. On Monday, 9.8.2014, there is an MLA reception near the Museum in which I very much want to meet the incoming MLA’ers and take note that this is my last semester with two other dear friends. In December of this year, I walk the “stage.” And, even though my legs are old and weary—when I sometimes feel that I cannot go on, God will provide that strength to finish all He wishes me to accomplish.

In the meantime, I have spent two days observing the incoming “freshmen” and how their student advisors council them. I am scared about the very sites that I have seen and heard this weekend. This statement is not inclusive of all incoming freshman at the university I attend but a good bulk of them.

Yesterday when I was in the students lounge, a group of freshmen came in with their upper class advisor. The topic of discussion was briefly share with each about their summer events. One student was a volunteer at a youth camp. Another student went to Nicaragua to help build a church. The other students spent their days in praise with God because they have faith. The worse fear the students in missionary work were the “shots.” At first I thought they were talking about being shot in the field, but no. They were referring to the inoculations they have to get from the doctor before the trips.

I realized that in their discussion, none of the students talked about their souls, eternal life, and the grace of God or hope—or even the eternal walk in the hereafter. The only discussion outside of trivial chatter was “glad we have faith” and “God has been good to us.” How? Defend yourself! And … I suppose I am asking too much. Didn’t I understand the defense of my faith at their age? No, not really.

Today, I am sitting next to freshmen listening to them speak. These were some of the young people that I observed yesterday and what they plan to do with their futures. Today’s topic at the lunch table was “he bent me over the picnic table and ‘f’d’ me really hard. I had to praise God, because it felt so good!”
Before brunch—“How are we going to go to church, since it is mandatory, without breakfast service first at the cafeteria? How can they make this mandatory? This is crap!”

Another student responded; “Well at least you don’t have to put on a dress and hooker heels!”
After brunch, I ran into one of the elder Student Spiritual Life advisors. When I say elder, he is older than me. He and I were speaking about what I had overheard. He said; “If one or two students out of 200 find true spiritualism isn’t that what it is all about?”

I thought about what he said and he was wisely correct.

In our life time, we will have encountered thousands of professed Christians and there will only be a few who will understand and be able to defend what faith in God and true Christianity is all about. It is not just about faith and deeds; it is the understanding of the Grace of God. It is the understanding of how love, hope, and faith go hand in hand. It is the understanding that the personal mindset of God and Jesus with the deeds of personal spiritualism must reflect heavily in our lives more than anything else. It is the understanding that we are in the position where God has placed us at this very minute. It is the understanding that now is the time to act and fulfill the thoughts and the work in which God intended us to do for him to obtain His Grace.

Now is the time not to be afraid to be a Christian or to believe in God but to profess proudly without judgment in our fellow man and attempt, to the best of our ability, the work He has assigned to us in the face of total adversity. Now is the time of our calling. Answer the door. You may never get another chance.

Proverbs 23:23

Get for yourself that which is true and do not let it go for money; get wisdom and teaching and good sense.


God bless you all and keep you safely in His arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment