Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Music and the soul

My son will be home soon from work and my daughter has gone out for the evening. She has spent the better part of the day running errands and then cooking out of her great, great-grandmother’s cook book: recipes from the 1920s. I studied a little and slept.

I did study something very important—The Greek Mousai (translated Muses), the goddesses of music, song, and dance. What was the relationship with Milton (Sonnet 8)? Alas, I have found the answer. It gave me a headache like you wouldn’t believe. Therefore, we can sing, dance, and hear the music of the past, while we change our destinies for the future. There is a lesson to be learned.

“If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” (James 1:5)

Like the sirens with the mystic sounds who call the sailors to their deaths in a watery grave, the mystical music of heaven above can save our souls.

Music in the Bible is very important as well as our souls; “it soothes the savage beast.” That is an interesting phrase that has truly been misinterpreted. Its origin was the first stanza of a poem The Mourning Bride by William Congreve (1697): 


Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.What then am I? Am I more senseless grownThan Trees, or Flint? O force of constant Woe!'Tis not in Harmony to calm my Griefs.Anselmo sleeps, and is at Peace; last NightThe silent Tomb receiv'd the good Old King;He and his Sorrows now are safely lodg'dWithin its cold, but hospitable Bosom.Why am not I at Peace?


Interesting poem about the “breast to the nature of the beast” that was sooth by music but it is not at peace. The true reason that the soul cannot be at peace is because it has no order, no purpose. 

Music can soothe our senses but what does it do for us in the endearing world of the ever-lasting eternity?

“But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” (Deuteronomy 4:29)

In my life time I have heard harp music, but I know one artist in conversation but have never met her. The last song I heard her (Karin Marrero) play from YouTube, was like summoning the angels to earth.   Like many musicians I have heard, I know their deep spirituality is what we hear and the heavens answer their songs. Never take for granted the music or the words that we hear. There are generally deeper meanings than what we know and understand. Our talented musicians are God’s special melodies of angels that we have on earth.

“[For the director of music: A psalm of David] May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.” (Psalm 20:1)

Please keep in prayer each other.

God bless you all and keep you safely in his arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment