Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What is wrong with this picture?

    In 1852, United States, at least a 14 year could be accepted at a major university if they pass the entrance exam of Latin, Greek, Ancient and Modern Geography, English Grammar, Arithmetic, and Elementary Algebra.

    Since the Elementary and Secondary Education Act passed in 2002 many of the arts programs were cut in schools. Many of you know it as “No Child Left Behind” Act; because of this many art programs were cut. As I have previously mentioned art is in more forms than just communication, painting, music, dance, and drama. Art is an expression of a person which everyone possesses.  

    Upon research I found the average intellect of a child 14 should have knowledge of Science, Mathematics, Geography, History, and Social Science. To find a definitive answer as to the average, I would have to check out the statistics and curriculum for all states.

    In 2012: “The US ranked 26th in Math…17th in science and reading” according to the figures of the 2012 Edition of PISA, Program for International Student Assessment. Vietnam participated for the first time in 2012 and had a higher average in math and science than the United States.  Anne Duncan (US Education Secretary) stated: “The picture of educational stagnation.”  

    Last summer I audited a class in English 101, college level freshman English. I took English all through high school. When I graduated from school back in 1979, my lack of education in academics was 70% my own fault. I can maybe name four teachers through my high school years that channeled my learning. My parents were not really supportive; they believed a woman’s world is not necessary education but marrying well was the purpose of a college education. When I graduated from high school, I was not college material or marriage material because of my rebellious nature. The remainder of the percentage would be 15% parents and 15% school. I was somewhat rebellious in high school not to mention very naïve.  I now hold an AA and BA. I am working on my MA – all with a GPA over 3.0. My future might see a PhD in there somewhere.

    In 2002 my son and I was told by a teacher, “Due to your son’s auditory dyslexia, he will never be able to graduate from High School. He might go ahead a try to prep for the GED and then join the military. That is where people like him go.” (Harrison County, Mississippi) He graduated in 2009, with a standard high school diploma. (Forsythe Co., NC) He kept taking the tests for 4 years until he passed the requirements. He will be graduating in August with a Culinary Arts Degree. He is thinking about continuing on to get his Bachelors in Business with an emphasis in Restaurant and Hotel Management. It took him longer than average but he did it.  He also stated he may take a break. The decision is his.
    
    Given the facts I just presented what is wrong? I think education is slipping just a bit, what do you think?
For every one of my son, there are 20(+) being over looked because of over-crowded classrooms, budgetary cuts and exhausted teachers who have to deal with too much red tape, paper work, and not enough freedom to teach like it should be. Every child is a sponge that soaks up knowledge.

    Since 1852, the education hasn’t increased but decreased. We have less that think, less communications, more mental illnesses and so forth. What caused this? We stopped being worried about our country. There is no longer strength in nationalism. There is no uniformity, no union of solidarity. We are no longer one nation under God. We no long revere the teaching profession like we should. This is a major problem in society. From 1996 –2001 there have been 18 school related shootings. From 2002-2013 there have been 43.   

    “My name will be great among the nations, from the rising to the setting of the sun. In every place incense and pure offerings will be brought to my name, because my name will be great among the nations,” says the Lord Almighty. (Malachi 1:11)

Keep in prayer Jeff Griffin who has not been well. Keep in prayer Ashley Larson—she had her surgery today and is well but in a lot of pain. Keep in prayer the friends and family of Hailey Owens who was abducted and found dead, Springfield, Mo. A coach was charged in her death. Keep in prayer Amanda (via Phyllis Parker Arden). She is having another surgery. We pray for the best for all concerned. Keep each other in prayer.

Please not this is just my opinion. I respect yours, so please respect mine.

God bless you all and keep you safely in His arms.

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment