Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Do you have a hero? What is your perception? What are you doing about it? Are you a hero?

Yesterday a fellow classmate and friend, Mary Ellen, shared a picture of Tebow who had etched the scripture (John 3:16) in his eye-black for the 2009 BCS Championship. According to an article I read in the Huffington Post, 92 million people were reported conducting an internet search for the term and what it meant. Such an act to me, would constitute making Tebow a hero to me.

I had learned a while back that we are lacking heroes in the American Society--heroes that will step up to the plate and be honorable role models for the masses of the youth. I once asked myself if that was true?
Now in some sporting events, some athletes will emulate the Tebow “position of prayer”. Of course being the skeptic I am, I have to ask: “Are they seriously praying or seriously trying to get the press to notice them?” I do not doubt Tim Tebow because he has been consistent. I can’t say that I doubt the other people who emulate him because I just do not know enough to answer my own question.

What I am getting at, where are the role models? Tim Tebow is just a “needle in a haystack.” Take it what it may be but I will give you an example of what a role model is.

Darryl Hunt was twice convicted of rape and murder in Winston-Salem, NC. You are thinking: “Has Julia lost her mind; a convicted felon on the list of role models?” The truth of the matter, Darryl Hunt was eventually freed because he was actually innocent. He took his money (awarded by the state of NC) and started working to free men and women who are actually innocent but have been convicted wrongly. From this eventually the “Innocence Project” came about. There are many convicted and sent to jail that are innocent. Yet we judge instead of question. Bill Murray stated very interestingly enough in a recent article, “We know the war on drugs does not work. Yet the prisons are full of men and women who have violated crimes against themselves.” Next time you think about a person in jail for a possession charge to do judge them. (I had to include that in my post.)

Billy Graham and Bill Cosby are role models. There are millions of men who are honorable in life who are role models but not necessarily in the press every day.

Where are the women role models? I sat honestly and thought about it? Please someone tell me the name of a woman who is notably honorable in their position. There are millions of women who are honorable and not necessarily in the press every day. Are there any in the press today? Not hardly. The only press honorable women I know of (in my opinion) are Maria Shriver and Caroline Kennedy. Why? Well why not? They seem to have been above reproach according to the press.

One thing that I have come to realize is that our role models are each to our own taste, our own perception.
“The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all the dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church?” (1 Timothy 3:1-16)
“Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.” (Acts 20:28)

God created man in his own image and he created woman from the rib of the sleeping man. When God disappeared from our sight, he left us all in charge of ruling over the earth. Have we done a good job taking care of the responsibilities that God entrusted to us? Not hardly. Need to decide what you are going to do about it. I know what I am doing. I may be slow but I am consistent.

Keep in prayer Larry Gill and Jeff Griffin who are not well; keep in prayer Scott Peavey who is dehydrated with a bad stomach virus; need a lot of prayer for the employees at the Vulcan plant in Foley; it exploded today and one of the seriously injured is a Roy Jernigan (via Mossy Oak); Mr. Jernigan has four children and his wife is expecting number 5; I do not know who the other severely injured gentleman was but prayer is needed for them and all of the employees; pray for each other.

Remember: this is my opinion. I respect your opinion and please respect mine.


God bless you all and keep you safely in His arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment