Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Death in a split second

I want to talk about something that I wouldn’t normally share. My 1st cousin, Keith, passed away this afternoon. I wondered if I should feel something, because I don’t. There was a long history of meanness between him and anyone who had a relationship with him. I had no real contact with him since 1993. The only thing that does bother me about him: Did he get his life with God in order before he died? He was not a nice person. I had asked the same question about my maternal grandmother before and after she died. She was not a nice person all the time either. I harbor no ill will toward either person because they were responsible for their lives. I loved my grandmother but that love was not returned and I tried to straighten it out in 1999, but was unable to. It is sad. It takes two people to enter into a relationship and two to end it. I do know that for the majority of his life, my cousin had “gluttony” for money and materialism—visions of grandeur. He died with nothing.  

Rick Warren (author of “Purpose Driven Life”) said, a while back in a televised interview, “Money itself is not a sin. It is what we do with that money is what counts. Everyone should die like they were born—with nothing. That includes no money and assets.”  

We save for a rainy day, which is great, but we are not guaranteed that the rainy day will every come. Life can end in a split second for anyone.

“Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5: 19-21)

“The son of man has come eating and drinking and you say, “Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!” (Luke 7:34)

A glutton doesn’t mean over eating. Take this or interpret it anyway you want; but, we do not have to live this way. It is not essential to our survival on earth. We have to define these passages in our souls and not the soul of someone else. Our souls and our actions go into to being a Christian. We can save our souls all we want, but our actions are just as accountable. One thing a lot of people do not realize is that our actions (behavior) and soul can tell more about a person when they alive and when the body dies.

My father was a hoot!  A very loveable man, but he had no faith in himself. He also did not honor his marriage vows. It was not just once either. My mother forgave herself for the hate in her heart and she continually forgave him. He made his life and soul right with God before he died. He also apologized to my mother and asked her to forgive him. The day before he died he told me he was going home to see his mother and father in heaven. He passed with a smile on his face.

My maternal great-grandfather said that on his death bed, his deceased wife from the 1920s came to him and shamed him terribly for the way he treated their children. He prayed for forgiveness because he said he was afraid he would be damned to hell. (That was told to me by my grand-father (his son) a few years ago.)

Where are you at? Where is your life? Where is your soul?

Pray for each other; Keep Josh Stricklin (Cynthia Stricklin’s son) in prayer and that his surgery goes well; keep in prayer Ashley Larson in her upcoming surgery that is be a success; continue to pray for Natalie Hightower and her fight on cancer.


God bless you all and keep you safely in His arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment