Total Pageviews

Friday, January 17, 2014

Take the time to help.

It has been a busy day for me. I spent the morning with my daughter and the evening with my son. I really haven’t had but a moment to myself. But, it has been great.  I am getting geared up for school to start next week and I am happy about it very much so. I will only have 3 semesters left and very glad of it. Then some strong decisions will have to be made about moving. I hate moving. Blah, blah, and more blah.

I have been really blessed this week. God has been so good to me. I finished up my homeless bags and was able to pass three out today. I have two more which my children will give out across town near where they go to school at. They get about as excited as I do when they get the chance to help someone. Some fire fighters died last year, and all three of us stood on the corner to raise money for their benevolent fund. My daughter even organized to have a huge sheet cake made by the professional chef instructors at their school and delivered it to their station houses.

Helping someone does improve a person’s outlook on life. It gives a person an overall sense of accomplishment or a purpose. When a person gets sad or depressed, one of the best methods of combating the blues is to help someone else. I personally do not feel like I am sacrificing anything but giving a bit of my compassion to someone else.

“But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?” (1 John 3:17)

I once snapped at a beggar who asked me for dollar. Five seconds later, that beggar was helping me off the ground. I hit a hole on my scooter and it flip over on top of me. Never again will I refuse to help another person in need if I have the ability to help.

“In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)

Keep in prayer Jeff Griffin who is not feeling well; keep in prayer Scott Peavey who is dehydrated with a bad stomach virus; need a lot of prayer for the employees at the Vulcan plant in Foley; it exploded today and one of the seriously injured is a Roy Jernigan (via Mossy Oak); I also found out that Mr. Jernigan has four children and his wife is expecting number 5; I do not know who the other severely injured gentleman was but prayer is needed for them and all of the employees; keep in prayer the Nun in Italy (Sisters of "Little Disciples of Jesus" convent in Campomoro near Rieti) who gave birth to a little boy; It is such a blessing when a child is born but can become complicated for a person in her devoted service; so will definitely need prayer; please pray that the Navy does not cancel their contracts in Mobile because of Government red tape; pray for each other.

So often we donate money to United Way through our paychecks which is great, but what have done physically to help someone in need in your community? Think of it like this; there are 200 + people on my Face-Book friends list.  If all 200 were to buy odds and ends of travel size toiletries including wet napkins, assorted pull top foods that do not have to be refrigerated, a water bottle (empty) and a pack of assorted single serving drink mixes (totaling enough for two people) and passed them out, you will have feed two. That would total up to 400 people that would be getting the help they so desperately needed. Each bag I put together was no more than $20.00. I am poor but, I had an extra $100.  I have no savings, but I have a future with endless resources. That future is God.   


God bless you all and keep you safe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment