Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Liberty to be free.

Spent the day studying, cooking, and cleaning house; then I made a birthday call to my Aunt who turned 60 something today. I also worked on one of my crazy hats. I have a feather hat that is black and white. Well it is actually a hat that I refurbished because it is over six years old and it started again to unravel in other places. So I decided to make the entire hat black and white feathers. It is really wild.

I enjoy my hats. I have a bunch of them and the wilder the better. A lot of people in my physical world do not know my name but they know me by my wild hats, wild sunglasses, and speeding around campus and on the streets on my scooter with a very loud horn.  When I come to a street crossing (of course I follow the rules) people will sometimes blow their horns at me. Well guess what, I can blow my horn back at them and my horn is louder than theirs. What is fun though is when I get up behind someone who will not move even though I ask, “Excuse me may I get by?” Some will adhere to let me pass and then there are some who ignore me. I will blow my horn and they jump up and move. Then I laugh like heck fire.

Last summer, one of the football players dared me (never dare me) to quietly get up behind some of the football players and blow my horn. How fast do you think football players will move? They move very fast! I like our football players. I went to a private party (given by students) on campus. Why do people think I need all the leftovers? I was going home very carefully on my scooter when I ran into three of my favorite football boys. I finally arrived home with no leftovers. They asked me if I needed help with all those leftovers and I told them yes. If they needed a late night snack it was theirs. Since their season was over with, I felt they weren’t breaking their diets.

Regardless it has been a wonderful day for me. In my studies earlier, I was reading about Milton and his thoughts about liberty during the English Renaissance period of religious reformation and conformity. I thought about the word liberty. How free are we in society today? Everyone thinks the constitution provides certain freedoms, but the truth of the matter it really doesn’t do what we think it does.

Here are two examples: The second amendment to the constitution allows us to keep and bear arms free from militia. However that is not an unlimited blanket. You can keep some arms in the home but not an arsenal or certain types of weapons like grenades, active tanks (in your backyard), etc.

In the first amendment we have the freedom of assembly. It also includes freedom of association to come together collectively express, promote, pursue and defend common interests. Here is the clincher; like the other rights, it too is not absolute. You can gather to assemble in public places but you have to have a permit to do so in most cases or face arrest.

THE RIGHTS IN OUR CONSTITUTION ARE NOT ABSOLUTE. If you think they are then are, think again. We have rights from our government that our government allows us to have.

There is one right that no government can take away from us that is all inclusive and 100% free.

“Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” (2 Corinthians 3:17)

“For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love to serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; we should love our neighbor as we love ourselves.” (Galatians 5: 13-14)

Our physical liberties on earth are like the life we live: short, sweet, quick to the point and in a blink of the eye it is over. Our liberty in God is everlasting.
Pray for each other. There is a correction from my previous posting: I stated Roy Jernigan was one of the employees severely burned at the Vulcan plant explosion in Foley. His actual name is Roy Jennings. Please continue to keep them all in your prayers.

As I have stated time and time again, this is my opinion. I respect your opinion, please respect mine.


God bless you and keep you safely in his arms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment