Total Pageviews

Friday, January 10, 2014

I have my hair in the usual bun, reading glasses on, my son whipped up homemade chicken pot pies, and I am looking at my new text for my next set of classes that starts in two weeks. I am enrolled in a “Constitutional Class” with Dr. Stacey. He is a wonderful conversationalist. I had spoken with him a few times on Chivalry and how it evolved from the original principle to something entirely different to now – a topic really not known. I really enjoyed the independent research that I did on it. Charlemagne and the Carolinians are the beginning of Chivalry. Walter Scott is who really brought it to life for society in “Ivanhoe.” Charlemagne started it based of a book he enjoyed reading, St. Augustine’s “City of God.”

I mentioned earlier that people would be surprised about how much classical history is based on the biblical teachings. The premise of Chivalry is fair play, valor, honor, courtesy, loyalty, largess, and piety. Each one of the points are backed up in the Bible especially piety – be well grounded in one’s faith, depend upon God, the saints, and Mary, and oppose the infidel. Of course since the middle ages, chivalry has evolved to the point it is no longer recognizable. Please understand, I am not talking necessarily about opening car doors for ladies or allowing them in the door first. That came after the civil war. I am referring to something much deeper as to the proper behavior of Men as set in life and on the battle field.

Fair Play (Trust and Honesty)
“And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:32)

Valor
“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom he had chosen as his heritage! The Lord looks down from heaven; he sees all the children of man; from where he sits enthroned he looks out on all the inhabitants of the earth, he who fashions the hearts of them all and observes all their deeds. The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.” (Psalms 33:12-22)

Courtesy
“A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” (Proverbs 15:1)

Honor
“Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all things.” (Hebrews 13:18)

Loyalty
“A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” (Proverbs 18:24)

Largess (charity)
“Do not neglect to do well and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (Hebrews 13:16)  

 Piety
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’, will enter the kingdom of heaven but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21)

Do we have chivalry? Do we have what it takes to follow the word of God? Think about it.

I state this time after time, you do not have to believe what I say or agree with it, but I challenge you. Check it out for yourself.

Pray for each other.


God bless you all by his grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment